Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Muscles nobody likes to exercise

Feb 5, 2009


It’s hard to do exercises that you don’t want to do. For instance, I had to alter the training schedule for this week because of a work conflict. Therefore I am taking 2 days off from running, but will be working my core and other parts of my body tonight. So far, it’s not too fun. I’m not sure if it’s because my core is weak right now, or if it’s just one of those muscle groups that is never fun to train.


Saturday is a timed 5K, approximately 3 miles; my goal is to finish in less than 24 minutes. Our training groups will be set off of these workouts, and I guess I should just suck it up and try as hard as possible. After all, Boston won’t just happen on its own.


On a positive note, my newfound diet is still going strong, oatmeal every morning, healthy snacks(usually an apple and Usana bar) at brunch, a salad for lunch, more healthy snacks, and then another salad and something else for dinner.


I highly suggest trying out this diet, it might seem weird eating oatmeal everyday and pretty bland, but if you prepare it like I do(Daily Journal Feb 3), it’s quite good. Plus, who doesn’t like a good salad. And best of all, your body will be so happy, that it will reward you with more energy and wanting to eat healthier. Another plus is that when you do eat unhealthy things, your body rejects them and makes you feel terrible. It’s food evolution. Everyday I notice that cravings for unhealthy food become less noticeable. I assume it’s because my body now knows what it feels like to be healthy. The last 2 weeks have been a true cleansing, and over the next 4 months I can only assume that my body will be even more efficient. I can’t wait to enjoy the feeling of even a month from now. Survival of the healthy good food!


BRB more core, hopefully it will click and I’ll begin loving working out my abs. For some reason it’s only the abs, not the oblique muscles. Don’t get me wrong, I love how they feel afterwards, it’s just during that is the burden.


The easiest way to get through the workout is to think about how amazing it will feel when you’re done. However, I think it won’t be as bad once the muscle group is well-trained and feels less of a strain on each rep. Therefore I figure, do the workouts until you’re suffering so that the next time it won’t feel as bad. Haha, that’s terrible, and definitely not motivating in the instant gratification point of view, but we’re teaching our bodies to feel good in the long run.


Some things to think about when training and setting long term goals.


• Weight comes off the body proportionately, aka don’t expect if you do abs, that all the fat is coming off the belly.
• Try to cut out bad habits, and cut back on alcohol consumption. I’ve never heard of a benefit to drinking during training as it dehydrates your body, and fills you up with empty calories.
• Make sure you stretch after exercising, otherwise everything you accomplished will go to waste. Learn to love stretching
• STAY HYDRATED(if I’m repeating things, it’s because they are important, I said this yesterday)
• Find a training partner, but make sure you are both pushing each other to accomplish the long term goals.
• Have short term goals that will lead you on the path towards the ultimate goal.
• But once you have reached the ultimate goal, don’t stop, set another ultimate goal.


Right now my ultimate physical goals are to run in the Boston Marathon, and finish a triathlon. I’m planning to do these by the time I am 30, so I’ve got about 7 years. Maybe do a Century ride before then also(that’s 100 miles biking).


Eat healthy, live happy, remain stress-free,


Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment