Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dehydration

The last few days I have felt really good except for one common occurrence, dehydration. Not to the point of any serious side effects, but it has taken a drastic toll on my energy levels and thus motivation for training. Yesterday I had an energy drink, which I figure is a huge contributing factor to my lethargy. Obviously it bumps me up a little, but the negative effects of caffeine are quite annoying. I try to get enough water during the day, but lately it has been a lot hotter, and thus I need to incorporate even more water into my diet.

On a positive note, my diet has been pretty good, and I’m getting high quality sleep, though still going to bed later than I would like. I have been eating salad and taking vitamins every day. I just need to drink a lot more water.

The spinning class yesterday was good, but I was lacking due to feeling slightly dehydrated. I was going to take the yoga class, but I forgot my mat and then didn’t feel so great after spinning.

Today it was really hot and I was doing a bunch of yard work (5 hours), which intelligently I decided to do between 10am and 3pm, the hottest hours of the day. I got a lot done, but definitely didn’t incorporate enough water into my routine. It will all be worth it once the garden is completed and I am eating home grown foods. I figure it will be kind of equivalent to the marathon, around 4-5 hours of hard labor in fairly hot conditions(San Diego), though the marathon will be about 50 times harder. The only real comparison is the duration.

Tomorrow is a cross training day, so I will do some biking, abdominals and some other weight lifting. Maybe the yoga class in the morning, hopefully.

I really want to train hard the next few days, but not over train so that I am ready for this weekend, 14 miles. Passing the half marathon point and into the 2+ hour running length.

Thank you everybody that has donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through my website.

If you would like to donate, here is the website:

http://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/rnr09/rgreenfield


As always, take care and have a great rest of the week,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment